Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's

February 14th is a strange day for me. I like all the romantic ideas that I see around me, but I don't want to be disappointed. I don't want to get "my hopes up" and then be let down. The romantic notions that I see all around me just aren't real so reality won't match up to it. When I was single, I thought it will wonderful when I'm dating or married, "if only" going through my mind. When I got married it became "if only" we had kids. Then the struggle of pregnancy loss and grief overshadowed any romantic notion of Valentines day, especially after our first baby was born and died due extreme prematurity, who could celebrate just a few short weeks later? Another year more grief and a "romantic valentine" just wasn't a priority. One year later we're rejoicing in the busyness of new parents, especially because our son was born with some health concerns, so we were even busier than most new parents. Fast forward 13 years, he's working full-time, going to school full-time, while I run our home and home school our son. We are blessed and my only request for this "special" day is to sit down together for dinner, a simple meal and conversation.  I think it must be maturity that dinner, flowers & candies just don't appeal to me. Being on a diet helps with those things too. I don't need an external date to say that he is special to me and that I'm thankful to God for bringing him into my life, everyday.  So I wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day, what ever shape it may take!

I'm making progress on the baby blanket. Have a great Crochet day!

No comments:

Post a Comment